8.25.2012

Chicken Paremesan fo the better

I found the original recipe in the recipe book,  Eat What you Love, by Marlene Koch.  This is the only recipe from that book I will put on my blog.  It is a FANTASTIC book and I hope this whets your appetite to go get it!!!  There are over 300 recipes in it and I can't say how great this book is. That is why I will post one recipe from it so you can see how great it is and go get it! I have used about 5 of the recipes so far and they are wonderous.  This is the book where I got my cauliflower/ potato recipe. So give it a try!!

Skillet Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried oregano
 1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 lg egg
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1tbsp olive oil (I used extra virgin and it worked great!)
3/4 cup marinara sauce (I used low cal low sodium prego and it was good too!)
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:

1) Mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic salt. In another bowl beat the egg until frothy.

2) pound the chicken with a mallet (hammer works too, just sayin') until about 1/2 inch thickness. (I put the chicken in a ziploc bag to pound, to make less mess).  Dip each chicken breast into the beaten egg mixture to coat it then roll in the breadcrumbs. I know it doesn't look like much but it coats pretty well.

3)Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. add the chicken and cook for 4 to 5 mins on each side, or until the chicken is well browned and just cooked through.
I only had room for 3 breasts in my pan but there were 4 :)

4) Spoon the marinara sauce evenly on top of the chicken and sprinkle mozarella on top. Cover and reduce heat to low, and cook for 3 more mins or until cheese melts.  Mine took a lot longer probably because I didn't beat the chicken (ha!)  down far enough. I just kept checking until it was about done then covering.

This parm recipe is only about 340 calories and worth 8 points on weightwatchers :)

I also made a salad from this cookbook (has an avocado dressing), but you will have to get the book to find the recipe!! Here are what it looked like though!

cheers!!!





No comments: